Sat, Oct 17 | Online Event

Neon Roots (Oct. 17)

A self-care pop-up shop
Registration is Closed
Neon Roots (Oct. 17)

Time & Location

Oct 17, 2020, 4:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Online Event

About the Event

"Neon Roots" is a virtual pop-up shop created by Sometimes Art House and Asylum Apothecary. While both groups regularly practice low-barrier approaches when advocating for self-care, "Neon Roots" is a fundraiser designed to assist in  the launch of their separate business plans.

Purchasing a ticket through Eventbrite guarantees your spot within a one-hour time block. Appointments will be hosted on Zoom and will be taken on a first come first serve basis.

Asylum Apothecary

Asylum Apothecary (AA) is an herbal care business and political project curated by Rachel Davis. Complementary or alternative to allopathic medicine, Asylum Apothecary focuses on you being your own best doctor/healer. “Asylum” originally meant a place of refuge or sanctuary. It was only later that the term became associated with the confinement of those deemed mad, insane, or mentally unfit for society. Asylum Apothecary is here to say: Mad pride forever! Let’s take care of each other.

About herbal consultations

As a self-taught/still-learning herbalist living on Anishinaabe land, AA is working through the complex dynamics of being a settler on stolen land. Right now, the project is giving 25% of the profits from this event to grassroots Land Sovereignty projects that are run by and benefit the Anishinaabeg. The remaining 75% of profits from this event go towards fiscal sustainability and entrepreneurship for Asylum Apothecary.

Sometimes Art House

Sometimes Art House is an art collective based in Lansing and Detroit founded by Black, femme creatives. The network has supported the needs and creative goals of women of color and LGBTQ+ identifiers based in Lansing for four years. To commemorate the group's impact, Sometimes Art House is developing a publication which will function as a year book for its members and supporters, while sharing submissions from creatives stationed in the Midwest and beyond. The proceeds from all tarot readings at  “Neon Roots” will go toward printing and distribution costs for the magazine.

About tarot readings

Grandma Wavy has been interpreting tarot cards for 6 years and considers herself a passionate hobbyist. She believes tarot can be used as a powerful aide to narrative therapy. When utilizing tarot as a healing practice, inquirers can use symbolic language borrowed from astrology, literature and their daily life to piece together their own hero story. As a practitioner, her goal for every reading is to assist the inquirer in naming their lingering anxieties/fears and offering advice tailored to their present situation.

IGTV video from a Sometimes Art House live tarot session: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAv88awBz1r/

Ticket & Event Info

Tickets are available on Eventbrite.

Each day is split into two sessions. Buying a ticket ($10-40) guarantees  you will be seen within a 1-hour time block and your materials will be prepared. As your ticket states, your appointment window falls either between 4-5 PM or 5-6 PM. When you arrive to the Zoom call, check-in with our receptionist. Next, you will be added to a waiting list and the receptionist will notify you when it's your turn via the contact information you provide while registering.

Drop-in sessions are more casual. You can secure your placement during the drop-in sessions by 1) purchasing a $5 Drop-In session ticket or 2) ordering a free Drop-in session ticket. Attending a Drop-in session does not guarantee that a store will have your desired items in stock.

Tickets purchased online to "Neon Roots" are not refundable. If you need to reschedule your appointment for another day please email sometimesarthouse@gmail.com.

For further questions about ticketing, please contact sometimesarthouse@gmail.com

Share This Event